The history of the edition commenced in 1947, when the first "Newsletter of the Karelian-Finnish Research Facility of the USSR Academy of Science" was published. In 1954, it was renamed into "Transactions of the Karelian-Finnish Branch of the USSR Academy of Science", and then into "Transactions of the Karelian Branch of the USSR Academy of Science". Altogether, 40 issues were published.
In 1999, after a long break, the decision was made at Karelian Research Centre to resume publication of the "Transactions of the Karelian Research Centre of RAS". By 2008, 14 issues had been prepared.
Early in 2009, as the printing facilities of the Karelian Research Centre were upgraded (a printing press and a bookbinding machine were purchased) and several issues of the "Transactions" were prepared in a periodical manner, Karelian Research Centre Presidium deemed it feasible to transform the "Transactions" from a serial non-periodical into a periodical edition, and passed a relevant resolution, appointing the Editor-in-Chief, members of the Editorial Committee and Regulations of the "Transactions of KarRC RAS".